I recently had some problems with my PC. Internet Explorer 7 was not allowing me to access any websites so I uninstalled it and Internet Explorer 6 was automatically reinstalled. I was able to access the internet and websites fine after that. I then went to download Stopzilla (an anti spyware program) and when the system went to reboot I got the Blue Screen of Death with the error code STOP: Fatal System Error C00021a. I am unable to get to the Windows desktop. I restarted my computer several times, all with the same response. I tried pushing F8 during the start up and have selected Safe Mode and Last Good Configuration, but still end with the same result.
The main reason for my concern is that I don’t want to lose the data I have stored on my hard drive — in particular my pictures. I know … I should have backed up my computer, but unfortunately I did not.
Is there anyway to restore my computer without wiping out all my data? Or even a way to copy the files from my hard drive that I wish to keep?
Thanks for your help!!!
You need a Windows CD. Boot from the CD and follow these instructions
1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the “R” key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the “1″ key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password. If you don’t use one just press Enter.
6. Type chkdsk /r and press Enter (note the space before the /)
7. Wait until it has finished, on a large drive this could be several hours. You will see a summary of your drives size and status, the important bit is Bad sectors, if you have none that is good, if you have a few then its not drastic (4 to 8kb) if you have a lot (32kb+) then you should consider changing the drive, if you have several hundred your drive is failing fast and you need to back up immediatly if you can, try not to start the drive unless you have your back up media or solution ready and waiting.
8. Reboot and hopefully all is well.
on: 3rd January 09